Friday, December 25, 2009

A Gift


It's the holidays. I come bearing gifts. But wait, I want to give a little background on the gift.

Plus the anticipation makes it special...Right?
OK.
I spent my first 20 years living in an apartment complex. A great place in Owensboro, KY called the Rolling Heights. I then moved to Bowling Green KY to go to school at Western Kentucky University. I lived their for 7 years. Recently, my wonderful wife, Jessi, and I moved to downtown Nashville. I say all of this to say, never in my 27 years on Earth have I had the opportunity to spend substantial time in the woods, until 7 days ago.
I play drums in a band, Noizejoi, and 7 days ago we went out to a cabin in the middle of 500 acres to record an album. This place was miles from anything. The cabin sat right in the middle of the 500 acres. Peaceful. An old fashion sacred place with old furniture, patchwork quilts, gardens, grapes, a lake, a fire pit, a tree swing, and deer heads on the wall. When approaching the cabin you drive about a mile through thick forest on a gravel road, down a hill, and then........drumroll.........PARADISE! Words can't describe it. True beauty can't be describe only experienced. Now, about that gift. While recording, I sat in an old antique chair leaned back and a small paperback book caught my eye. I opened it. Inside...TRUE WISDO and this is what I share with your. Simple, but profound. Post this somewhere meaningful. DIG IT! Happy Holidays...



"Advice from a Tree"

Stand Tall and Proud

Sink your roots deeply into the Earth

Reflect the light of a greater source

Think long term

Go out on a limb

Remember your place among all living beings

Embrace with joy the changing seasons

For each yields its own abundance

The Energy and Birth of Spring

The Growth and Contentment of Summer

The Wisdom to let go of leaves in the Fall

The Rest and Quiet Renewal of Winter
Feel the wind and the sun And delight in their presence

Look up at the moon that shines down upon you

And the mystery of the stars at night.

Seek nourishment from the good things in life

Simple pleasures Earth, fresh air, light
Be content with your natural beauty

Drink plenty of water

Let your limbs sway and dance in the breezes

Be flexible Remember your roots

Enjoy the view!

2 comments: